2.5 macOS beta
This public beta introduces a number of new features and adds 64-bit compatibility and other updates related to macOS 10.15 Catalina and beyond.
- InqScribe is much better about finding media within shared transcript files, particularly when opening transcripts on a different computer.
- Transcripts containing emoji and other high-Unicode characters now work much better with InqScribe and timecodes.
- Preferences are no longer in a modal dialog.
- Go to Time... dialog now loads much faster for transcripts with lots of timecodes.
- Plain text export now includes any text prior to the first timecode.
- Additional minor bug fixes.
- Select All now works correctly when the transcript includes certain Unicode characters.
- Word Count now counts certain Unicode characters correctly.
- Searching for case-sensitive text will now find the correct matching text when the transcript includes certain Unicode characters.
- Fix issue where unknown devices assigned to shortcuts could lead to a crash.
- Timecode coloring is significantly faster and should resolve most responsiveness issues with longer transcripts.
- InqScribe now provides better messages when opening a transcript that references a media file on a disk or server that is not available.
- Minor language changes to the Edit Snippet dialog.
- Added support for the VEC Infinity 3 USB foot pedal.
- InqScribe is now a macOS Universal build with native support for Apple Silicon.
- Go to Time... dialog better handles Unicode content.
- Exclude additional USB devices that can't be used for input.
- USB input devices work again on Apple Silicon machines.
- If emojis were present in the transcript, odd results would appear when using Find/Replace, coloring timecodes, or trying to click on timecodes. This has been resolved.
- XML exports do a better job filtering out invalid XML characters.
- Better auto-deactivation of USB devices that aren't really input devices.
- Better window placement in certain multiple-monitor configurations.
- Rapid play rate changes no longer lead to actual and reported play rate getting out of sync.
- Minor UI improvements and bug fixes.
- Playing URL-based media is a little smoother, and InqScribe provides better feedback if you happen to enter a URL that InqScribe can't play.
- Fixed an issue where InqScribe could hang if you were saving transcripts to a Dropbox folder.
- Fixed an issue where InqScribe could crash if the folder containing a media file was moved after the file was loaded.
- Better management of keyboard shortcuts across keyboard layouts.
- Unmuting now more reliably restores the prior volume.
- InqScribe once again warns you if you try to assign the same key combination to multiple shortcuts.
- Minor UI improvements and bug fixes.
- Fixed a bug where InqScribe wasn’t saving to external hard drives.
- You can now click the volume “speaker” icon to mute and unmute audio.
- “Mute” has been added as a shortcut command.
- “Skip Forward” is another new shortcut command, which lets you move the current play position ahead by a specified number of seconds.
New Transcript Features
- Fully native text field for macOS, including undo, spelling, grammar, autocorrect, etc.
- Transcripts now have a setting for spell check.
USB Device Support
- New Manage USB Devices dialog, accessible via Edit > Manage USB Devices... or via the Define Trigger dialog, lets users control which USB devices are available (active) for use with shortcuts, and which are ignored (deactivated).
- Officially-supported USB devices now appear with better names (not just the driver name).
- InqScribe should now auto-activate officially-supported USB devices.
Updated Media Support
- Switch to AVFoundation media engine (from QuickTime)
- InqScribe can detect timecode tracks via AVFoundation.
- InqScribe can now enable and disable tracks via AVFoundation and the Display Tracks dialog.
- InqScribe now recognizes .m4v video files.
New User Interface
- New, updated look (with Retina support)
- Updated volume and play rate controllers
- New interactive time code display
- Updated interactive media timeline
- Updated media control buttons
- InqScribe now includes a preference to allow users to restore transcript windows that were open at last close.
Shortcuts & Snippets
- New native hotkey support. Keyboard shortcuts should respond more quickly, and a much wider range of modifier-based shortcuts are available.
- Added new default shortcuts.
- Added new links to InqScribe Labs in the Help menu and under Export in the File menu.
- New release notes window is shown for beta builds.
- Updated in-app help docs for new features.